Do you ever feel like your home and garden are under siege by uninvited guests? From birds to rodents, from deer to raccoons, it can seem like no matter what you do, animals just won’t stay away. You might be tempted to reach for a chemical-based repellent but before you do that, why not try some natural animal repellents instead? These non-chemical alternatives really work and they’re much better for the environment. Keep reading to learn about the top 10 natural animal repellents that will keep unwanted wildlife out of your space without harming them or the planet.
Why You Should Avoid Chemical Repellents for Wildlife
It is important to carefully consider the methods used for wildlife control. One method that is commonly utilized is the use of chemical repellents, like scented foam, granules, and sprays. However, it is important to note that these chemical repellents can often be toxic and unsafe for both the animals and humans in the surrounding area.
The use of these repellents can harm not only the target animal but also any unintended wildlife, domestic pets, or even children that come into contact with the area treated with chemical repellents. In addition, the constant use of these repellents can also lead to a buildup of toxic chemicals in the environment which can be detrimental to all living beings. Due to such potential risks, it is crucial to consider alternative and safer solutions for humane wildlife control.
10 Natural Deterrents and Repellents for Nuisance Animals
1. Ammonia: For small critters like mice and rats, ammonia is a great deterrent. The pungent smell will keep them away without causing any harm to them. Plus, you can find it in any grocery store or pharmacy at an affordable price point.
2. Plants: Certain types of plants have strong odors that animals don’t like and other scents that are attractive to them. Planting garlic, lavender, and marigolds around the perimeter of your property is a great way to keep out raccoons, rabbits, opossums, and skunks while also adding some greenery to your yard!
3. Coffee Grounds: Believe it or not, the scent of coffee grounds keeps many common pests like rats, moles, and voles away. All you need to do is scatter some around the area where you’ve seen them, and they won’t come back!
4. Peppermint Oil: Add a few drops of peppermint essential oil to a quart of water and spray it around your property. This will not only keep animals away but also make your yard smell nice.
5. Clay Cat Litter: Another great way to deter small critters is by sprinkling clay cat litter in problem areas. Animals can’t stand the smell or texture, so they’ll stay far away!
6. Mothballs: Mothballs are a powerful deterrent for many types of animals. Spread them around problem areas and the animals will stay away. Just be sure to use them sparingly and keep them out of reach of children and pets as they are toxic.
7. Human Hair: Believe it or not, human hair is a great way to keep animals away from your home and garden. All you need to do is collect some hair from your barber or hairdresser, place it in mesh bags and scatter around problem areas – the smell will be enough to keep most animals at bay!
8. Fences: If all else fails, building a fence around your property can be an effective way to deter animals from coming near your home. Make sure it’s tall enough that they can’t climb over and secure it with a lock, so they won’t be able to get in.
9. Motion Detectors: For larger animals like coyotes, foxes, and raccoons, motion-activated lights or sprinklers can be a great way to discourage them from coming around. The sudden noise and light will scare them away without causing any harm.
10. Ultrasonic Devices: Finally, ultrasonic devices are another great option for keeping animals away. These high frequency sound waves are virtually harmless but are often enough to drive animals out of your yard.
Year-Round Wildlife Control at Your Fingertips!
So, there you have it – 10 natural animal repellents that really work! You don’t need to use chemical-based products when these simple solutions will do the trick. Just be sure to use them safely and responsibly and you should have no problem keeping your home and garden free from uninvited guests.
If you have a problem with nuisance wildlife, the best solution is to hire a professional critter control service. So, contact Modern Wildlife Control at 317-847-6409 for safe and effective animal trapping and removal services for all types of wildlife in Indiana. We serve residential and commercial clients.