Wildlife can be a nuisance for Indiana residents, whether the problem is raccoons rummaging through your trash cans or squirrels in the attic. But wildlife control doesn’t have to involve cruel traps and poisons. There are humane ways of controlling wildlife that don’t harm animals or endanger people. Here are 11 tips to help you safely remove wildlife from your home and keep them away:
How to Manage Nuisance Animals Around Your Property
1. Clean Up Messes: Keeping your yard and home clean is one of the best wildlife deterrents. Get rid of food sources like pet food, bird feeders, unsecured garbage cans and compost piles that may attract wildlife.
2. Close Off Access Points: Look for any potential entryways that wildlife could be using to access your home. Install wildlife-proof doors, seal up openings around your pipes and vents, put caps on chimneys and make sure any windows are secure.
3. Use Wildlife Barriers: If wildlife is getting into specific areas of your property, try using wildlife barriers like netting or fencing to prevent them from entering those areas.
4. Try Wildlife Repellent: There are natural wildlife repellents available that can help keep wildlife away from your property. These usually contain ingredients like garlic, peppermint oil and vinegar, so they’re safe for people and animals.
5. Use Live Traps for Rodents: If you need to catch mice or rats, use humane live traps that won’t harm animals. Check your local wildlife regulations to see how to use these traps safely and legally. In Indiana, you are not allowed to trap any other kinds of wildlife without a specialized license.
6. Keep Wildlife Away From Pets: Make sure wildlife can’t access any pet food, and keep cats indoors to prevent them coming into contact with wildlife in the first place.
7. Don’t Feed Wildlife: Feeding wildlife can encourage them to stay around your property and become a nuisance. Avoid doing this, even if you do truly mean well.
8. Use One-Way Exclusion Doors: If wild animals have already made their way into your home, you can use specially designed one-way exclusion doors to let them out without letting new wildlife in.
9. Remove Wildlife Nests: If nuisance animals have built a nest on your property, it’s important to remove it to prevent any conflicts between animals and pets or people.
10. Make Loud Noises: You can scare wildlife away by making loud noises like banging pots and pans together or using a whistling or megaphone.
11. Hire Wildlife Control Services: If you need help dealing with wildlife, hire an Indianapolis wildlife control service that can provide professional assistance in removing wildlife from your property in a safe and humane way.
Be in Control of Nuisance Wildlife
By following these tips, you can humanely control wildlife around your Indiana home, keeping everyone safe and healthy. If wildlife does become a problem, remember to call Indianapolis animal removal contractors who can help safely and humanely remove nuisance wildlife from your property.
For more information about wildlife removal and control in Indiana, trust our animal removal professionals. Contact Modern Wildlife Control at 317-847-6409 for safe and effective animal removal and control in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our wildlife removal services are humane, effective, and available for both residential and commercial clients.